Desert for breakfast?!
From an extremely young age I've been getting up at 5am, starting the day with a similar routine: Wake open all the blinds to let the natural morning glow shine through, give Mr. Riggs (back then it was a Maltese Terrier named "Snowy") his morning treat where he then proceeds back to the bedroom to have another snooze - I know, I know what a terrible life he leads. The maid then comes in (AKA ME!) unpacks dishwasher, makes the bed, feed the fur babies, give Mr. M his lunch bag and send him on his way - yes, he's also poorly treated! Once done I begin to prep my breakfast.
My regular options are:
- Smoothie: normally mix of berries, collagen, protein powder and alkalising greens.
- Avocado on sourdough with fetta and bacon, sometimes just feta.
- Homemade muesli with YoPRO Protein Yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
I also use this time to reply to emails, catch up on some news, or simply sit in the quiet. With our little miss only 8.5wks away, you can bet I'm making the most of it. This morning like many it's yogurt, berries and homemade muesli for the win.
Here are some of the benefits.... From the experts!
- Healthier than other cereals
- Full of fiber and wholegrains
- Stay fuller for longer
- Can be high in protein
Aside from this, it's damn scrumptious!
Lets stop all this mouth watering talk and whip our culinary skills out.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 g almonds
- 80 g pecan nuts (sometimes I use walnuts or leave out all together)
- 250 g rolled oats
- 70g pistachios
- 70 g sunflower seeds (sometimes I leave these out)
- 20 g sesame seeds
- 20 g chia seeds
- 40 g dried blueberries
- 60 g dried cranberries
- 60 g desiccated coconut
- 130 g honey
- 40 g olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, to taste
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
** feel free to change any of the nuts/seeds
- Preheat oven to 150 C. Line 2 baking trays with backing paper and set aside.
- Place cinnamon quill in a blender and blend till finally chopped.
- Add almonds and peacans or walnuts into blender and chop (I like mine fairly rustic).
- In a separate heat proof bowl add honey and olive oil and place in microwave for 45 - 60sec. Than stir till combined.
- Add all dry ingredients to wet mixture and using a spatula stir till combined.
- Spread mixture evenly across both prepared trays, then toast for 10mins. Remove from oven, stir mixture on baking trays and toast for further 10-15mins or until golden brown. Allow mix to cool before placing in a sealable container.
** muesli ready for roasting
For me its a gorgeous mix between crunch, a little chew and sightly sweet, plus the combination of fresh berries that gets me every time. May even be known to have some for desert!
Leave a comment below 👇🏼 Would love to know what you think and how you added your own flare.